Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Some Thoughts on the Travel Nomad Lifestyle (and why I don't live that lifestyle myself)

I published an article about the travel nomad lifestyle at http://www.latinandcaribbeantravel.com/articles.html . In it I mention that today's technology makes it easier for people to pull up roots and set themselves in other parts of the world with their laptop and Wi-fi connection. I also mention the many benefits of this lifestyle, among them being the ability to sightsee much more than on a standard vacation as well as really connect with other cultures. It's also great to be able to provide a favorable impression of one's country just by being present in another and acting courteously toward one's hosts.

I personally don't live the nomadic lifestyle myself, but my particular reason is because I like to come back to a home base or place to process all my experiences and share them once I'm on familiar ground. I still feel, though, that I have a lot in common with travel nomads and like sharing information with them. In my case, I may have done at least some of what they have done, but stretched it out in little bits over a long period of time. One such experience was seeing a mime on the streets of Bogotá, Colombia during a trip to a food festival there.

Here are links to more sites that discuss or refer to the travel nomad lifestyle:

The 4-Hour Workweek by Tim Ferriss is one book that discusses in detail the freedom to work from anywhere in the world and choose one's own schedule. Tim's blog on this subject is called The 4-Hour Workweek Blog.

Move Builder, a company that specializes in relocation, also has a webpage listing travel blogs that describe the lives of several travel nomads.

Jasmine Wanders was created by Jasmine Stephenson (also highlighted on the Move Builder website) to chronicle her travels to several countries. She also has created two additional sites, one for St. Maarten and another for South America.

1 comment:

Michael Esposito said...

One way that I've found that can approximate the travel nomad lifestyle when you have limited time to travel due to work or other commitments is by doing ample research on the place that you plan to visit. That way you can target the sites or activities that you enjoy most and get the most out of your experience.